The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has recently revised their important guidelines to keep infants safe when sleeping and reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
Safe Bedding Practices for Infants
- Place baby on his/her back on a firm tight-fitting mattress in a crib that meets current safety standards.
- Remove pillows, quilts, comforters, sheepskins, pillow-like stuffed toys, and other soft products from the crib.
- Consider using a sleeper or other sleep clothing as an alternative to blankets, with no other covering.
- If using a blanket, put baby with feet at the foot of the crib. Tuck a thin blanket around the crib mattress, reaching only as far as the baby’s chest.
- Make sure your baby’s head remains uncovered during sleep.
- Do not place baby on a waterbed, sofa, soft mattress, pillow, or other soft surface to sleep.
A blanket is a great way to introduce four-legged members of your family to the new addition. Before you bring baby home, allow your pet(s) to smell a blanket that was used to wrap the baby. Pets are very sensitive to changes in their environments, but becoming familiar with baby’s scent can alleviate some of the pet’s anxiety when the new baby arrives at home.